Bible Study - 2021

For years, I had seen my mother's friends come over to visit her, or she would go over to visit her friends. These were scheduled visits or drop ins. These weren't a time for idle chit chat - only to gossip, but a time when they enjoyed each other's company; they reminisced about their old days, updated each other on the latest happenings in their lives, or in the lives of their common friends, classmates or families.

After this short time of meeting each other and feeding each other, with the new recipes they had tried or the snacks that were at home at the time, they indulged in prayer time together. I do not know if they followed a formal Bible study plan, or if they preferred a time of bible reading and praying together in their own way. All I noticed was, single mothers who were tough, who brought up children on their own. And these women looked peaceful all the time. There was something in their meeting and in their time of prayer that sustained, encouraged and edified them!

Having seen this for all of my senior school years onward, I often thought that I must follow suit and have a friend with whom I can share my concerns, to gain Christian counsel, and to have a prayer partner. Heck! I always like company to go shopping or to the beauty parlour, etc. Then why not have company when I go to God? I could introduce my friend to my Father and not that He needed the introduction?! He knew them in their mother's womb and even knew the exact minute when our lives would cross paths on this earth!

So, finally, at the end of 2020 - the pandemic year that brought the world upside down, I came to a conclusion. I would take matters into my hands and invite a friend (from church) to start doing a Bible study together. I had to find someone who wanted to do the same thing. It would also hold me accountable to persevere and to follow through with my grand plan.

Thus was born my Bible study sessions in 2021! Praise God for His Wisdom, His Grace to see me through the sessions thus far. It was also His idea that I put my thoughts and learnings down, to help me think about and have a different perspective (while writing) on what I learned.

Comments

Popular Posts